The process is as follows:
- Download the application (found on the pull down menue of our website under “Get Started”, complete it, and scan the signed copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click “make a payment” and pay your app fee of $250.00 by cc.
- Our reviewers will review your application and contact you usually within 2 business days.
- You will then be sent a contract. Please sign and return by email. We will sign it and return to you a signed copy.
- Our business office will send you an invoice for the Homestudy and 2 post adoption reports HS $2,000 and Posts $400 each . For example China requires 6 post adoption reports 2 of which must be paid at the time of Homestudy so the total will be $2,800.00 if your adopting from China and the additional reports as they come due over a five year period.
- We will assign assign to you one of our Social Workers for your homestudy.
Depending on caseloads and availability we try to assign one of our employees living closest to you or traveling nearest to you. You will be additionally responsible for the travel costs of our employee to visit your home for the inspection and personal interviews. This travel amount includes transit, meals, and generally one night in a hotel near your residence. In some hard to reach regions of the world and in some special circumstances such as critical time pressure situations you may request one of our stateside social workers to visit you. In that case the airfair will be an economy seat.
Small World has a state of the art online database where you will upload your homestudy documents and find all forms and documents you need ready for you to download.
The table below shows how many documents often overlap and are used more than once during the adoption process. The columns show the documents or action needed to complete the process and the end result.
Please refer to the actual list of requested documents and instructions supplied by your primary provider when preparing your dossier.
|Application||Agency Application||Form I-800a (or I-600a )||Application Letter to|
|Certified Birth Certificates for each parent||Photocopy Accepted||Photocopy Accepted||Original Certified Copy|
|Certified Marriage Certificate||Photocopy Accepted||Photocopy Accepted||Original Certified Copy|
|Certified Divorce Certificate||Photocopy Accepted||Photocopy Accepted||Not Needed for Dossier|
|Certified Death Certificate||Photocopy Accepted||Photocopy Accepted||Not Needed for Dossier|
|Criminal History Records for each parent||Photocopy Accepted||you will get fingerprinted at a US consulate||Original Certified Copy|
|Homestudy||Photocopy Accepted||Original Notarized Copy||Original Notarized Copy|
|Immigration Approval||Photocopy Accepted||Issued when all above are submitted and approved.||Original Notarized Copy|
|Employment Letters for each parent||Photocopy Accepted||Original Notarized Copy|
|Certificate of Income and Property||Photocopy Accepted||Original Notarized Copy|
|Health Examination Certificate for each parent||Photocopy Accepted||Original Notarized Copy|
|Parents Passports||Photocopy Accepted||Photocopy|
|6 Family Life Photos||Photocopies Accepted||Actual Photos|
|2 Passport Photos of Each Parent||Required Agency Document||Actual 2×2 Photos|
|Adoption Services Agreement||Required Agency Document|
|Release of Information||Required Agency Document|
|Guardianship Statement||Required Agency Document|
|Children’s Medical Forms||Required Agency Document|
|Health Insurance Cards||Required Agency Document|
|Autobiographies||Required Agency Document|
|Last Year’s Tax Return||Required Agency Document|
|State Child Abuse Clearances||Required Agency Document|
|References||Required Agency Document|
|Previous Homestudies||Required Agency Document|
|Prior Adoption Decrees||Required Agency Document|
|Child Desired Form||Required Agency Document|
|Hague Training||Required Training||Required Training|